If you have gotten this far, then you have probably already figured out the remote, at least a little bit. The remote control forms the basis for navigation to the various parts of Kairos using the "TOC" menu. In addition this remote provides a platform from which you can search the web, define words, and send Kairos feed back. Finally, The remote can also be used to display information about the journal.
The TOC menu works with the main Kairos window to display the various sections of the Table of contents. To use this feature, simply click on the pop-up menu, select the section of the TOC you wish to view and let go (Mac) or click (PC/UNIX). That section of the TOC will then be displayed in the main frame (the largest one) in the main window. Be carful, though, this will replace whatever you were reading in that frame.
The tools menu provides many useful features for helping you direct your studies and use of this journal. These tools include:
- Search Kairos: Search past and present issues of Kairos using key words. Type the word or phrase you wish to find in kairos, then press submit. A new window will open diplaying the results.
- Search Web: Search of the Web with various search engines. Find the search engine you wish to use to begin your search with, type in a word or phrase in its input field, then press the submit button under that field (or hit return). A new window will open to display your results.
- Dictionary: Find the definitions of words using the Hypertext Webster Interface. Type in the word you wish to define and press define. The definition will appear within the remote.
- Resources: View resources that the staff of Kairos have found useful. Select the resource wou wish to view. A new window will open with that link.
- Contact Us: Write to the editors of Kairos with your complaints and compliments. Select the area of the journal which you wish to contact and a email window will open (mail-to capable browsers only.)
The INFO menu provides links to information about Kairos these links are displayed within the remote except for "Kairos home" which opens a new window. These links include:
- HELP: What you are currently reading
- Masthead: Information about the people who are working on Kairos
- Call for HT: The Journals Call for Hypertexts. Check here if you are interested in contributing to the journal.
- Kairos Home: A link tot he Kairos home page