Episode 3: Podcast Assignments 1—Response Assignments
In this episode, I will first present some guidelines I have developed for integrating podcasts and provide three response-based podcast assignments. Without further ado, let us begin Episode 3: “Podcast Assignments 1—Response Assignments.”
- Podcast File (.MP3 length 20:21 minutes. This is saved as a rich .MP3 with album art and lyrics. Please download and listen to with an .MP3 program, like iTunes, for the fullest experience.)
- Transcript (.pdf)
Table 3.1: Student Rated Contributions of Reading Responses to their Electronic Writing and Publishing Knowledge and Skills
Knowledge and Skills
|Critique & analysis||4.0|
|Media differences & issues||4.3|
|Internet writing strategies||3.4|
|Copyright and fair use issues||2.9|
Overall electronic writing and publishing
Table 3.2: Student Rated Contributions of the Podcast Peer Reviews to their Rhetorical Knowledge and Skills
Knowledge and Skills
|Three parts of a “text”: introduction, body, & conclusion||1.7|
|Medium (differences & issues)||2.2|
|Oral communication skills||2.8|
|Written communication skills||2.1|
|Overall applied rhetoric skills
(putting it all together)
Student Podcast Clips:
These clips are listed in order (transcripts unavailable for student clips).
Peer Review Clips
- Cho,Ian. (2008). Peer review capstone for Ashley Judge, for ENGL
4320:005:FA08, posted 11/24/08 on iTunes University. Peer review of
Judge, Ashley. (2008). Rhetorina episode one: Introduction, rhetoric.
Reading Response Clips
- Davis, Ashley. (2008). Nov 17 final response, for ENGL 4320:005:FA08, posted 11/17/08 on iTunes University.
- Manfredi, Robert. (2008). Robert Manfredi Oct 29 reading response, for ENGL 4320:005:FA08, posted 10/29/08 on iTunes University.
- Judge, Ashley. (2008). Heinrichs 23, for ENGL 4320:005:FA08, posted 11/18/08 on iTunes University.
- Cho, Ian. (2008). Buck’s state of rhetoric, for ENGL 4320:005:FA08, posted 11/09/08 on iTunes University.
- Johnson, Angela. (2008). Steinem response, for ENGL 4320:005:FA08 11/11/08 on iTunes University.
- Anson, Chris M. (1997, Spring). In our own voices: Using recorded commentary to respond to writing. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 69, 105–113.
- Bartholomae, David. (1980). The study of error. College Composition and Communication, 31(3), 253–269.
- Beach, Richard, & Friedrich, Tom. (2005). Response to writing. In Charles A. MacArthur, Steve Graham, & Jill Fitzgerald (Eds.), Handbook of writing research (pp. 222–234). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Hedgcock, John, & Lefkowitz, Natalie. (1992). Collaborative oral/aural revision in foreign language writing instruction. Journal of Second Language Writing, 1(3), 255–276.
- Liu, Jun, & Sadler, Randall. (2003). The effect and affect of peer review in electronic versus traditional modes on L2 writing. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 2, 193–227.
- Tuzi, Frank. (2004). The impact of e-feedback on the revisions of L2 writers in an academic writing course. Computers and Composition, 21(2), 217–235.